Aerodynamic Research

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Aerodynamic Research
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 07:01:20 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     The Tiger finally emerged from hibernation yesterday, and the
     shakedown cruise was also used to test the theory about raising the
     rear of the hood to get more airflow, as we discussed a few months
     back.

     The hood was lifted by placing a 2" roll of duct tape around the
     latch.  Tufts of yarn were spaced along the resulting opening, so that
     airflow direction could be tracked.  The car is basically stock, with
     the stock fan, shroud, engine, air cleaner, etc.  The horn openings
     are not blocked.

     Observations:

     At rest, just goosing the throttle a bit, produced a noticeable
     airflow out of the gap.  Turning on my electric fan at idle did not.

     At highway speeds, the center area, about the width of the stock air
     cleaner is turbulent, but I really couldn't say that there was much
     flow in or out.  From there outwards, air is just pouring out along
     the back and up the sides.  One of the tufts about six inches up the
     side appeared to blown straight out, at 90 degrees to the direction of
     travel.

     So it appears that you do get more airflow by raising the hood.
     Perhaps the center should be blocked off for the width of the air
     cleaner because the flow there looks questionable.  Still unanswered
     is the main question:  Does this added airflow help the cooling?  It
     was about 50 F when I was doing this, so nothing could be proved.

     Stu Brennan