Re: Aerodynamic Research

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aerodynamic Research
From: Doug Pruitt <Douglas.Pruitt@nist.gov>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:31:41 -0400
At 07:01 AM 5/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>     The Tiger finally emerged from hibernation yesterday, and the
>     shakedown cruise was also used to test the theory about raising the
>     rear of the hood to get more airflow, as we discussed a few months
>     back.
>
>     The hood was lifted by placing a 2" roll of duct tape around the
>     latch.  Tufts of yarn were spaced along the resulting opening, so that
>     airflow direction could be tracked.  The car is basically stock, with
>     the stock fan, shroud, engine, air cleaner, etc.  The horn openings
>     are not blocked.
>
>     Observations:
>
>     At rest, just goosing the throttle a bit, produced a noticeable
>     airflow out of the gap.  Turning on my electric fan at idle did not.
>
>     At highway speeds, the center area, about the width of the stock air
>     cleaner is turbulent, but I really couldn't say that there was much
>     flow in or out.  From there outwards, air is just pouring out along
>     the back and up the sides.  One of the tufts about six inches up the
>     side appeared to blown straight out, at 90 degrees to the direction of
>     travel.
>
>     So it appears that you do get more airflow by raising the hood.
>     Perhaps the center should be blocked off for the width of the air
>     cleaner because the flow there looks questionable.  Still unanswered
>     is the main question:  Does this added airflow help the cooling?  It
>     was about 50 F when I was doing this, so nothing could be proved.
>
>     Stu Brennan

        It sounds like the LAT hood may be a good design, with its outlets
at the
corners. Perhaps someone with an LAT hood could do a tuft test someday. Did you
notice if the air from the interior vents or the heater was warm or odoriferous
from the exhausted engine heat?
 Doug Pruitt (301) 975-6419
 Maryland
Zort!