Re: Clutchflite

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Clutchflite
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 10:01:53 PST
     Rich;

     -I used the term "Clutchflite" loosely here. Me thinks the original
     design was Chrysler because they were built to be mated to the Hemi's
     used in Top Fuelers & Funny Cars.

     -Subsequent offerings came out for both Ford & Chevy products. I
     remember perusing the catalogs at the local speed shop...in the '70's
     the Ford set-up was running $300.00-$400.00 just for the patented
     Clutchflite stuff. A flywheel, scattershield, etc. was still
     additional $$. Some "tricked-out" older street-rods still use this
     set-up, especially if your wife doesn't go for all that macho-shifting
     stuff & needs to drive the car as a "grocery-getter" once in awhile.

     -I once put a HI-PO 289 into a between-the-seats '66 Econoline. I had
     a top-loader 4-speed in it too. The hassle of 6-8' (really!) long
     shift linkage & all the "bushings" I had to use to ensure relatively
     smooth shifting was a pain. The shifter was from a big-block (390)
     Cyclone GT and I mounted it IN FRONT OF the engine box between the
     seats. I also utilized the ORIGINAL AUTOMATIC linkage for reverse (it
     had the EXACT throw I needed) because the std. Ford reverse I had was
     over & back...which would have put it UNDER THE DRIVER'S seat. I was
     just about to put the "old" C-4 back into it with a "Ford Clutchflite"
     but then I got married, sold the car, etc. so it never came into
     fruition.

     -Maybe eons from now when I rebuild the 289 in my TIGER, (it only has
     about 15K miles on a rebuilt engine now) I might consider the
     Clutchflite option.

                          Phil