RE:Oil dipstick question and insurance reply

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Oil dipstick question and insurance reply
From: Mario Jorquera <MJORQUERA@intergate.dot.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:24:31 -0400
Will someone please help keep me on the level!

My Tiger' s oil dipstick has a stopper at the top that is
supposed to work as a detent and keep the dipstic at
the proper vertical position, so that it measures oil
depth accurately.  Unfortunately, this little metal ring
came loose before I bought the car, so I have no idea
how far the dipstick is supposed to go in.  Could
someone on the list please measure the distance
between the end of your dipstick and the inside of the
little stopper ring?  I have a stock 1965 MK1 with the
260 engine.   Your help would be greatly appreciated.

On an unrelated topic, on 6/27, Phil LeBrun wrote that
we should get our cars appraised to avoid hassles with
the insurance company in case of loss.  Both my
current insurer  (St. Paul) and former one (State Farm)
simply asked how much I wanted to insure the car for,
and I told them.  They also asked for a comprehensive
set of photos.  They then set their policy price
accordingly.  I've not had a claim, so I don't know if I
would have a problem, but I expect that if I had a total
loss, (say car was stolen...hope not...knock on
delaminated wood dash!) they would pay the full
amount.  Am I wrong?

Mario Jorquera
Columbia, MD
B9471239