VALUATION OF TIGERS.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: VALUATION OF TIGERS.
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 12:32:51 PST
     All;

     -I'll probably stir up another s***-storm on this emotional &
     subjective topic, but here goes. I have 2 points to make.

     1)To be objective about our TIGERS is often a difficult task, but the
     one subject I'll ALWAYS be objective about is $$.

     We would all like to think that our "pride & joy" is worth a
     high-dollar figure, which gets reflected in the asking/for-sale price
     of not only TIGERS, but all specialty cars. To over simplify,  &
     pre-Mktng. classes in Grad. school, I always remembered the old adage
     that something is only "worth" what the buyer was willing to pay.

     2) I recently had my car appraised by a specialty car appraiser for
     insurance reasons, as this was the only way my PARTICULAR insurance
     carrier would give me "full-boat" insurance on our recently-purchased
     '66 TIGER. This includes fire, theft, collision, uninsured drivers,
     etc. (So anyone doesn't think I have a "bad" insurance co..I have FULL
     coverage on 4 cars from the '66 TIGER to a '95 Jeep Cherokee for about
     $1,200.00/yr).

     Getting the car appraised cost $250.00 and also required 2 sets of
     photos...one for my broker & the other for the main office back East.

     I was pleasantly surprised that the delta between the appraised value
     & what I paid was quite good.

     MY POINT: doing my insurance on our Tiger this  way completely avoids
     the any future settlement problems AFTER THE FACT if something happens
     to the car. This negates the proverbial p***ing contest over a
     fuzzy set of snapshots with the adjuster after the fact.Secondly, I
     now have a "hard-copy" document for negotiating purposes if & when I
     ever want to sell the car.

     MY POINT: when buying a car, ask for a recent appraisal sheet.
     Remember that your insurance will only pay the lowest-grade value on a
     TIGER per the Kelley Blue Book if you buy one and you lose it. I think
     it's about $2,200. Sadly,think of the hours and dollars invested in a
     Tiger restoration project, only to get the bare minimum on later
     settlement. For my money, I'd have my car appraised semi-annually if
     my project took quite awhile.

                                 Phil  LeBrun