Re[2]: New thread - Fuses/Electrical Protection

To: Tiger Clan <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re[2]: New thread - Fuses/Electrical Protection
From: Jarrid Gross <GROSS@unit.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 13:23:00 -0700
     Hello Tiger/Alpine Clan,

I am in the process of building my second bulletproof alpine motor.
The first is running well, but I have bigger and better intensions
this time around.

Specifically I am dropping in a "big cam" some more compression
and I fully intend on getting 7000 RPM out of the little beast.
I know from recent experience "other peoples" that stock alpine motors
will not tolerate RPMs much above 6000.

I know of at least 2 possibly 3 recent 1725 engine failures involving
rod bearing and or broken con rods.  These were race seasoned engines with
relatively low milage.

Because of this knowledge and my own intentions, I would like anyone with
any alpine engine failure experiences to send a reply as to the conditions
and outcome of any know failures as well as possible reasons for failure.
 I would like to compile all of the information so that common denomenators
may
be found and eliminated.

The bottom end in general appears to be weak.  Stuck oil pressure relief
valves
seem to crop up from time to time as well.  Specific modes of failure are
vague.

Any suggestions or fixes to known defiencies would also be appreciated.

Here tell there are people out there who know how to graft forged
small block chevy con rods to the alpine motor.  Any ideas????????

Please help!

Jarrid Gross
Gross@unit.com