Re[2]: More on the Grand Sport

To: TIGERS@alpine.b17a.ingr.com, David Horton <70544.1507@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re[2]: More on the Grand Sport
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 96 09:09:11 PST

     In my automotive machinist days, a fellow machinist implemented the
     multi-part arcticle in HOT ROD by Smokey Yunick about how to build up,
     step-by-step the same engines he did for the original IROC cars.

     We took a 350, stroked by 1/8", which gets you close to the 3xx CID.

     Edelbrock even made a special manifold for these cars..they had no
     exhaust crossover...ran rich as hell. My friend put this engine into
     a '55 Studebaker which ran in the low 12's and got about 15 MPG avg.

     Not bad for a car that smoked the tires on the Interstate at 65 by
     just punching the throttle; got us to San Diego in 6 hours from the
     Bay Area and used to out-run the CHP with their 455 Olds on highway
     280. (he's the same friend who put a 215 Aluminum Buick engine into
     his wife's 510 Datsun wagon).