Re: Wood Dash Boards

To: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Boards
From: lrw@aop.com (LARRY WRIGHT)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 96 13:40 EDT
 Kempinski, Robert M. WROTE:
>As a maker of wood shavings I'll throw in some comments on wooden dashboards.
>Yes plywood is more dimensionally stable (SNIP) For example a solid maple
>dash board over the course of a year could move as much a 3/8 inch. This
>could cause stress at the screw mounts, either cracking, warpring or bending
>the mounts.

 Or pre-loading the cowl area, thus preventing "scuttle shake"? :^)

>> Is some other wood more P.C., doesn't warp, lasts longer, has a cool
>>grain pattern &      color?
>P.C. isn't a concern as long as wood is sustainably harvested. However,
>prices reflect it. BTW, it is debatable if ebony can be sustainably
>harvested.

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a Sunbeam-dash-sized
chunk of Corian, in a grey granite finish, that was supposed to be
the dash on my Alpine; now I guess it'll be a top for a real skinny table
(unless I hear offers). I'm relatively certain that no Corian trees were
cut down to make it...

>How about a dash with marquetry of the gauges. You wouldn't have to worry
>about overheating or RPM or anything else. The gauges would always read the
>same.  ;^)

"Look, officer, the speedo reads 55 mph! See?"

Larry Wright, Maryland     "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"
1964 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1   (302/285, T-5)
1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R       ($TB, 17d BTDC)
1992 Toyota pick-up             (Bilstein, Yoko AVS)
ph 301.386.7979                      fax 301.386.5333
and e-mail at home now!      Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com
(And I'm looking for a tow-behind cement mixer. Any
ideas?)