Re: Wood Dash Boards

To: parlanti@cae-hou.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Boards
From: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 16:08:21 -0500
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.

Joe said

>I used burled walnut purchased from
>Constantines woodworking supply. I was told that because burl veneer does not
>have any directional strength, it is important to laminate it down to
>another less expensive veneer. I think they called it "scrim"; help me out
>here Rob. I think it was a poplar veneer.

Joe is right here. However, since most plywood is basically slices of
veneer, the backer sheet is not really necessary when laminating to plywood.
And usually burl veneer will come with some sort of backing on it to keep it
together during handling.  Most of the time they use a thin fabric - perhaps
this is where the term 'scrim' comes from. Otherwise, I can't recall the term
of the substrate layer.

One other point. When veneering a solid board it is necessary to put some
type of veneer on the back side of the board creating a sandwich. This will
equalize any strain the face veneer places on the board.

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas