Re: air cleaners

To: oldhaven@biddeford.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air cleaners
From: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:14:53 -0500
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.
On 10 Jul 96 at 7:54, LARRY WRIGHT wrote:

> If parts that
> are unavailable become available again, then isn't that good for every-
> one except those who can afford the time & money for tracking down
> NOS, or those who have cars that are original and feel that the investment
> value (insert rasberry here) of their cars drops because other folks can
> restore their Tigers?

I have made a suitable sound effect at my desk.

>>    Also BTW, if I didn't already have an original air cleaner, I would
>>_immediately_ order one of those neat cast-aluminum units that matches the
>> LAT 8 valve covers; those look neat! If I didn't have access to those, and
> > I was missing mine, yeah, I'd buy one of your repros, Phil.

Wait a minute - even if you have one, buy another, heck, buy two. You can
chrome plate one, paint one day glow orange and keep one original. That way
you can change air cleaners to suit your mood.

Ron said
>I would too.  I'm sure they would be easily identifiable as repro's and not
>affect the value of NOS.
Sorry Ron, but I have to make another sound effect here. "The value of NOS?"
You mean to tell me people have been investing in Tiger parts?  Windfall
profit seems to be a more likely scenario for those who happen to have an
extra.

I'm all for a reproduction air cleaner. And the closer one can make it look
like the original the better as far as I'm concerned. Then the parts can sell
for manufacturing cost plus an equity factor and not some dollar inflated
aberration. Then again, I can just see it now - a Tiger Air Cleaner
Authenication committee. Decals to be placed on a suitably inconspicuous spot
just underneath the AC on the top of the cleaner.

Rob Kempinski
Houston, Texas

P.S. With the stinky air in Houston, we have big demand for air
cleaners.