CAVITATION MUSINGS.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: CAVITATION MUSINGS.
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 10:44:48 PST
     Morning y'all;

     -Interesting footnote to the above, if you don't care, sorry.

     -I spoke with my pops last night & mentioned to him the "problem" of
     cavitation behind certain water pumps with 3.50 or lower gears.

     -He flew all kinds of prop planes in WWII and even some of the first
     jets @ Wright-Patterson.

     -P-51's had a cavitation problem at about 20,000 feet and only if you
     really stood on the throttles from that altitude & above. He said
     North American drove their engineers crazy trying to cure it: they
     never really could come up with a complete solution except pure
     Ethylene Glycol. They figured on the resistance of the fluid to
     counteract all the other forces acting on the coolant behind the
     vanes. However, this had drawbacks 'cause the cooling efficiency was
     reduced without the addition of any water to the mix.

     -Seems like cavitation's not a new problem. Some obscure Ph'd.
     Dissertation is probably sitting somewhere in a library that's got all
     the answers?

                                 Phil