Re: CAVITATION MUSINGS.

To: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Subject: Re: CAVITATION MUSINGS.
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 9:06:35 PDT
>      -Interesting footnote to the above, if you don't care, sorry.
>
>      -I spoke with my pops last night & mentioned to him the "problem" of
>      cavitation behind certain water pumps with 3.50 or lower gears.
>

>                                  Phil

This certainly has been a concern to me.  I posted a question about
water pump options for my HiPo 289 rebuild a while back.  The original
pump had a curved bladed cast iron impeller, but was in unknown
condition.  I located a Ford replacement pump, but it had an impeller
made of stamped sheet steel.  I checked into aftermarket water pumps
and discovered that they also had stamped impellers.

What I ended up doing was having my old water pump rebuilt.  I don't
know if this pump will have less cavitation than any of the other pumps
I could have installed, but I figure it can't be any worse.

Roland