Differential Facts

To: lrw@aop.com (LARRY WRIGHT)
Subject: Differential Facts
From: Tom Hall <Modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:36:07 -0700 (PDT)
At 01:06 PM 7/24/96 EDT, you wrote:

...  I know there was a question in there somewhere... oh yea!

The difference is that the English division of Dana Corp (Salsbury) used
7/16 bolts instead of 3/8 bolts used in the USA.  To run the 2.88 gears on
the American Posi's simply machine some 7/16 OD x 3/8 ID spacer tubes just
slightly shorter than the thickness of the carrier flange.  Done it several
times.  The Gleason is a worm and sector type posi, rated at 300 ft lbs of
torque.  Bad rating. Thats why they were pulled from the market.  Kept
breaking teath at the edge (clam shell failures due to local overstress
conditions).  I have one behind my late 302 with 2.88 gears & a T-5 with a
low ratio overdrive.  Works great, but this is a low milage car with only 4
or 5 autocrosses a year.  I'll let you all know when it breaks.

Tom Hall,  modtiger@engravers.com
STOA (Sunbeam Tiger Owners Association)