Re: Bench bleeding

To: richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov (Rick Fedorchak)
Subject: Re: Bench bleeding
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 10:56:00 PDT
> >I put a m/c in my nephew's late model Olds last year, and the instructions
> included a section on filling & bleeding the unit before installation.
> D'yall do this on Tiger cylinders? Mostly, it just seems to be a handy way
> to spill fluid all over the engine compartment
> >when trying to bolt in the cylinder full of fluid.
>
> Maybe so, Larry.  I'm not sure about others on the list, but I consider
> "priming" or "bench bleeding" the master cylinder essential.  You _can_ do
> Obviously, it helps to have the car body covered in the vicinity of the
> m-cyl in case you dribble some fluid. To keep from dripping,  a rubber
> stopper like you used in chemistry class helps to plug the fluid outlet, if
> you have one of these handy.
> Fedorchak

I highly recommend bench bleeding of master and wheel/slave cylinders,
but it's probably less critical for the clutch.  Since my clutch slave
is mounted up-side-down, I know there's still air in it, and it still
works surprisingly well.  But pre-bleeding can't hurt.

Whenever I buy a new master or slave cylinder I save the little plastic
screw-in dust plugs that usually come with them for this very purpose.
Between the cars I own and my son's I have quite a collection now.  Old
bleeder valves work pretty well too.

Roland