Bench bleeding

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Bench bleeding
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:27:51 -0400
Re: Larry's  master cylinder;

>Also got the new brake master cylinder (it's about time, Larry!).
>I put a m/c in my nephew's late model Olds last year, and the instructions
included a section on filling & bleeding the unit before installation.
D'yall do this on Tiger cylinders? Mostly, it just seems to be a handy way
to spill fluid all over the engine compartment
>when trying to bolt in the cylinder full of fluid.

Maybe so, Larry.  I'm not sure about others on the list, but I consider
"priming" or "bench bleeding" the master cylinder essential.  You _can_ do
it otherwise, but end up either having a hard time getting it to operate,
and/or end up pumping a lot of air through the lines that then has to be
eliminated ( i.e. takes longer to do a complete bleed job on the car. )

Usually I put the master cylinder body in a vise ( careful ! ) and fill it
partially with fluid.  Then Icarefully push the rod in, then cover the fluid
port with a finger or thumb before I allow the rod to come back. This pulls
fluid into the cylinder instead of air. A couple few iterations of this and
you should be pumping only fluid ( no air ) , then  you're ready to install.
Obviously, it helps to have the car body covered in the vicinity of the
m-cyl in case you dribble some fluid. To keep from dripping,  a rubber
stopper like you used in chemistry class helps to plug the fluid outlet, if
you have one of these handy.

                                                                    Rick
Fedorchak