Window Channel

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Window Channel
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 30 Jul 96 12:18:48 EDT
Thanks to all of you (Brian, Kevin, Paul, Ray, Tom and Tom) who gave me
suggestions about the window channel.  This is what I ended up doing:

*Lower Window Channel*
As I mentioned, I had purchased from Sunbeam Specialties the rubber piece
that is supposed to hold the side window into the lower channel that is
attached to the window regulator.  The piece I got was different from the
old style carried by SS, because SS's supplier no longer carries the old
style.  FYI, the old style was supposed to be covered with oil that would
apparently be absorbed and expand the rubber after it was pressed into the
channel.  The new piece has material on one side, apparently for the metal
channel side.  The material came off in my hand when I took it apart.  For
good or bad, I just took that piece of rubber, put black weather stripping
glue on both sides and pressed it all back together.  We will see how it
holds up.

*Back window channel*
My stock original piece was a piece of fabric, not felt, or bristles, that
was attached only at the top and bottom.  It ripped long ago.  The SS
bristles were just too tight.  Rick said he thought it should loosen up
after a few uses.  So, I tried manually while watching TV one evening and
it wasn't going anywhere.  I gave up on it after hearing from one of
you that only putting 1/2 on was suggested, but still didn't cure the
problem.  I found an old piece of the stuff I got from Victoria British,
which was a piece of felt with a sticky back (sounds similar to Tiger
Toms's stuff).  I took off the wax paper back covering, cut it in half the
long way and put it back on leaving a gap all the way down.  Using Tiger
Tom's idea, I folded it over a thin ruler and pushed it into the channel.
I then grabbed the paper and peeled it down each edge and pressed the
sides down.  It is narrow enough so as to not bind the window.  I don't
know how long it will last.

So there you have it.  Thanks for all the help.

Jay Laifman