Cylinder Rebuilds

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Rebuilds
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:55:25 -0400
>Phil wrote:
>>-I own a couple different sets of brake hones, is this the way to go on a
TIGER
>>brake rebuild (clutch too) or is it simpler and easier to buy new master
>cylinders(both are "weeping" a little bit now)?
>>-Is this the way to go on wheel cylinders too...just buy new? Has anyone
gone >the rebuild route only to have to buy new shortly thereafter?

Larry wrote:
>Phil, this happened to me. I got the master resleeved, rebuilt and it is
still weeping. I betcha other folks are running on rebuilds just fine, though.

In answer to Phil's question......If it were me , and the money wasn't
particularly an issue, I'd probably go with new stuff.  Master cylinder, (
and for that matter wheel cylinder ) rebuilds are a funny thing. Even if
honing technique, cleanliness, component quality,  and care during  assembly
are the same, sometimes they seem to work, and sometimes not.  And I've
never seemed to be able to make a _concrete_  correlation as to whay it
works out that way.

 In _theory_, a cylinder should be able to be honed to remove any corrosion
and/or pits in it's surface .
( how much material removal is acceptable ?  I don't know )  Over the past
twentysome years, I've had better luck with honing and rebuilding cast iron
cylinders versus the aluminum ones.  I'm really baffled by Larry Wright's
problem with the sleeved cylinder he got from White post. Again, in theory
that one should work better than anything else.  ( I've bugged larry to let
me look at it after he removes it, and maybe we can figure out what went wrong )

Anyone else have any insight on this ?

                                                    Rick Fedorchak