Re: Italian Tiger?

To: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Italian Tiger?
From: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 16:32:13 EST

     Hmmm, unpublished rumor?  This story seems very detailed for a rumor.
     You wouldn't care to reveal your sources would you?

     Jeff (B9471120)

Subject: Italian Tiger?
Author:  Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org> at INTERNET
Date:    9/16/96 09:40 AM

We all know about Tigers from South Africa, but have you heard about the
Italian Connection?  William Carroll has related the demise of the Tiger
MkIIA, and the embryonic future Tigers, despite dealer demand.  His
stories and pictures clearly showed interest within Chrysler, but total
rejection of Ford powerplants.  Exciting prototype concept sketches, and
even a 1965 photo of the "Ultimate Tiger" is shown on page 71.

The unpublished rumor goes something like this:  Chrysler had very
strong connection with Carrozzeria Ghia, who built many Chrysler powered
"cars for the stars" and was yet to be sucked into the Ford game. Future
relationships with Carroll Shelby was nearly impossible in the later
60's due to Carrolls tie-in with Ford.  So,  Chrysler was said to have
commissioned Briggs Swift Cunningham to put together a new design for a
future Tiger.  Briggs had a long relationship with Chrysler, running his
Le Mans Cunningham C4 and C5R cars with their Hemi's.  Briggs' team drew
up a targa-type roadster and fast-back coupe concept, and the Targa
full-scale model was made (see page 71).

Now the undocumented part.  Ghia helped the design bodywork, and Briggs
team, with John Fitch and Phil Hill consulting, specified ZF 5 speed
rear mounted transaxle, and a FIAT 8V engine (Ford was out and Chrysler
didn't make a suitable block).  It is rumored that O.S.C.A., the
brothers Maserati, designed a taught tubular chassis with all-round
independent suspension and four wheel disk brakes.  There was only one
Targa made, and it was reported to be rejected as too costly.  The
prototype is still supposed to be in Italy, in Rootes BRG 86.

Sooo-  I am leaving for Italy on Sunday for a two week search in all the
unlikely places, starting at the local watering holes.  If I find it, I
will be accepting bids.  If not, well it's a great place to look.  I'll
be unsubscribing Tigers till I return, so my mailbox won't be
overloaded, but you can still send me direct mail.

   Arrivederci mio amico, e buona fortuna,

 Ciao, Steve (;>

Steve Laifman         < Tovare ancora >
B9472289              < importante in suo vita >
                      < e no perdere!>

                         _/
                    _/_/_/