Re: Kemp's comment (uh oh)

To: C5813@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net, tigers@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Re: Kemp's comment (uh oh)
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 09:13:26 PST
     Like SMOG II in California. 30 + state legislator's asked the head of
     the Bureau of Automotive Repair(the state agency who does the smog
     tests)for a delay. The answer was that CA would forego $ BILLIONS in
     Federal matching highway funds, so no delay was possible.Blackmail on
     an unprecedented scale, perhaps?

     Already in use is an un-manned infrared sniffer and camera that takes
     readings and photos of the rear license plate of EVERY car entering
     the freeway on-ramps. I got mine taken yesterday.It's moved every day,
     so it's not in the same location 2 days in a row.

     As far as I know, the "crusher" portion of the new smog law was
     waived. This allowed the state to "take" your car if it failed as a
     "gross polluter" a number of times.

     I'd like to hear from Sunbeam owners in the East who belong to TE/AE
     or are non-affiliated and how any of these new smog laws have affected
     them personally,especially those in New Jersey.

     Big Brother is alive and well.

                          Phil