RE: Renault Spin on Filter

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Renault Spin on Filter
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 00:08:20 -0700
        And it has been (disastrous) for many engines.  I just got mail today
from a guy with an Alpine that smoked all of the bearings in his engine
because something lodged in his bypass valve, which dumps to the pan.  I
had a 68 Jeep Wagoneer that did the same thing for the same Reason.
Find an old PH8A and rip it apart.  There is no valve in the filter,
other than a rubber disk flap for anti siphoning.  I've ripped the cans
off of several over the years when they were put on way too tight!!

        The relief valve is designed to regulate the MAXIMUM pressure the
system will see.  When the filter plugs, the pressure climbs, and the
bypass valve would open just enough to relieve that extra pressure by
venting it into the pan (by design), there by maintaining the regulated
maximum pressure for the engine.  When something gets lodged in the
bypass and keeps it open, the oil will always take the path of least
resistance.....right out the open hole into the pan !!  This is why the
oil pump pickups have screens on them, too keep out anything that could
cause this.
        In my previous post, I made it sound like some engines do not do this.
They all do !  As long as the bypass is not lodged by debris or is
malfunctioning, the bypass regulates the max pressure because the bypass
has a piston or plunger backed by a fairly strong spring.  The strength
of this spring is what regulates the maximum pressure.  Too much
pressure can damage babbit bearing and can blow the can part of the oil
filter off of its screw on base (seen this many times).  Too much
pressure is also difficult for the pump to generate.  If a bypass valve
has too stiff a spring or is stuck shut, it is not uncommon to snap oil
pump shafts, or shear off the shear pin on the gear on the shaft.  And
we all can guess what too low of oil pressure can do to the longevity of
an engine.
        The oil pressure bypass valve is a commonly overlooked critical part of
any engine rebuild, or major maintenance.  If your engine seems to have
very low oil pressure, and changing a thicker grade of oil does NOT
change the pressure, then the Bypass valve Should be looked as soon as
possible, and probably the pump as well, if debris is found in the
bypass valve.

Rich.