Ford 260/289 Clutch

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford 260/289 Clutch
From: rob hogan <rob_hogan@michweb.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:09:33 -0700
Is the McLeod clutch the current majority accepted performance single
plate clutch unit of choice.  What model or discription?  I've had a 10
inch diameter Schiefer clutch on my '66 Mk1A that requires excessive
pedal pressure to release and I am interested in defining a suitable
replacement.  So much force is required that the specially fabricated
1/2 inch thick hydraulic slave cylinder bracket bends with the Lakewood
scatter shield flange!  The clutch was obviously for a mechanical
linkage system on a drag racing application - short, fast engagements.
The non-counterweighted long style clutch grabbed very well at all rpms
and never showed evidence of slippage, even behind the 320 horsepower
289 HiPo setup that I was running it with.  I'd like to find the same
qualities in a new clutch but without having to quickly go to neutral
every time I had to stop.  Anyone have any recommendations?