Re: Alternator resistance

To: C5813@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternator resistance
From: Tom Calvert <calvert@oasys.dt.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 15:31:40 EST
At 09:21 AM 12/19/96 -0500, you wrote:

>To those electrical types out there who've ever considered converting their
>Tiger to an alternator: what is that 15 ohm resistor (in parallel with the
>ignition light) for? If the designers wanted to limit the current flow
>through the light I would have expected them to use a series resistor. (I'm
>trying to figure out if the extra ohm in my 16 ohm resistor will blow up my
>car.)
>
>Regards,
>Paul Brownell
>Red '67 Mk1A

The resistor in parallel with the light lowers the resistance of the field
circuit to provide the initial charging current to get the regulator cutout
relay to pull in.  Of course the solid state regulators do not have a relay
anymore but the idea is the same.   16 ohms will not be a problem.   You
probably will not even notice the difference.  Without the resistor you
typically have to rev the engine to get enough current going to start
charging and cause the light to turn off.

Tom Calvert