Re: Electronic Ignition

To: richards@northcoast.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:40:40 +0100
richards@northcoast.com wrote:

> I prefer the Unilite, made by Mallory.  I've installed many and enjoyed the
>benefits:
> increased gas-mileage, improved power, and virtually no maintenance.
>
> Chris

Ah, yes, the age old question of magnetic reluctance points, mechanical
single or dual points, the "hall effect" magnetic system, or the light
beam/shutter system such as Unilite (which has the advantage of fitting
inside the stock distributer, giving a lot of spring choices, but adds
another wire.

But, this only replaces the dwell drift and wear of points.  What about
the intensity of the spark, requiring external modules of varying
designs by MSD, Accel, Mallory, etc.  Using capacitive discharge,
special coils, elecronic circuits galore, and another box and coil shape
to mount.  Latest article in something like "Fast Fords", read in the
supermarket while the better half was cruising th aisles, did
comparative dyno testing, gave results, but left conclusion to reader.
MDS 6 something or other looked pretty good, but then so was the price.

Any comparative experience to share?

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/