RE: Smog Tests

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Smog Tests
From: "JAN SVEN-ERIK HARDE, LUTCF" <harde@cyberesc.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:47:15 -0700

----------
From:  Jay Laifman[SMTP:JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM]
Sent:  Monday, November 11, 1996 2:25 PM
To:  british-cars@autox.team.net; alpines@autox.team.net; =
tigers@autox.team.net
Subject:  Smog Tests

I was told over the weekend that the California Smog Test II has been =
put
on indefinite "hold" for two reasons.  This is the more stringent test
requiring all cars to be tested under load on a dyno.

First, something in the state congress did not pass which was to
provide funding for the program.

Second, at some eastern state, which was recently forced by the US
government to start a dyno test smog program, a woman standing behind
a truck being tested was killed when something fell off of the truck and
was shot at her by the spinning rollers.  Apparently, the woman's family
is suing the state and the state is in turn suing the US government for
her death.

Does anyone know the truth behind any of this? =20

Jay

All,
A very Happy New Year!!!
Had my first experience yesterday, with the wonderful smog system check.
Of course my car failed, I went on to the State exam center, what a pain =
In the you know what.
They finally passed me after complaining, all the way down to the =
thickness of the hose going from the air cleaner to the oil filler, had =
to scramble to an auto parts store for a new one, and had only 30 min to =
accomplish this, before they closed.
Point for all who have a Mark 1A, 1966 registered in 1967, their system =
shows, 1967 Rootes Sunbeam 289 V8 for all 1967, no signs of a 260, so =
when they ask, do not fight them, agree all the way.
Lucky for most of us that the guys at the centers usually like cars, and =
the FUNBEAM was no exception, they had just tested another one just a =
week prior.
I wish all of you luck, but only getting tougher I understand, as the =
small Chatsworth location, is closing in Feb. then on to a huge facility =
in Van Nuys, by the airport, that will do 100 cars per day, totally =
state run...Mercy on all of us...

See ya' around, and have tons of fun running around,,in them there =
FUNBEAMS...

Warm Regards to all..   Jan Harde