digest #213

To: Tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: digest #213
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:40:10 -0800
Mark wrote:
>6.  Anyone have a good source for aftermarket steering wheels that look >
>somewhat vintage.

I am happy with my mahogany Grant wheel. I like the round-hole spokes better
than the slotted ones I see on many import wheels. No hub kit is available, so
I hacked apart an old Alpine wheel and fabricated my own. There was no pro-
vision for a horn that way, and after trying the push-button-in-the-center thing
and running afowl of the telescoping wheel adjustment, I gave up and mounted a
momentary bat-handled switch in the unused rubber plug on the side of the
steering
column. An ergonomic disaster, but I don't mind. Overall cost = $100

Gary wrote:
>Rather than spending top $ for a big name product, have you
>considered using a product called "Q-pad" (Quiet pad).  It comes in
>two sizes (1/8" thick x 12" x 12" and 1/16" x 12" x 12") and is
>available at most any body shop supply store.  I've used it in the
>doors and on the floors of both my Mini and Tiger and it made a very
>noticeable difference.

Thanks for the tip! I know of such a shop nearby...

Larry Allbritton wrote:
>I have a MK1 (metal doors boot).  It needs a new convertible top.  So
>far all I have been able to find are the vinyl tops.  Has anyone out
>there in this group put a cloth top on their Mk1.

I was thinking about a new top (my vinyl one is OK) along with the new
interior, but when I called Martha Wheat, whom several folks on the List
recommended as an expert on interiors, she recommended strongly against
it on a MK1 due to a clearance problem from the extra bulk of the cloth.
I guess they're only for Mk2's and "non-existant" Mk1A's.  :)

My pet peeve on the subject: why can't we have the three-window style on
our Tigers? I _know_ I've seen one on a Tiger, and could really use the
additional visibility. Even if it costs more :(

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"