RE: Valves

To: "'alpines@autox.team.net'" <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Valves
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:01:22 -0800
        Yes I have heard of this and have done this in the past.  WARNING:
This may drastically shorten the life of your engine.  Not because of
the water, but because of the removal of the carbon deposits.  These
deposits, although ugly in appearance, actually increase the sealing of
the rings on old tired engines.  Yes, adding water while it is running
will remove the carbon from the valves, it also will remove it from the
piston and rings, and along the head gasket.  The removal of the carbon
from the rings will increase the blow-by, reduce the compression, and in
the worst case, will eventually cause the piston to melt when under a
heavy load.  I know, because that's what mine did !!
        I used this trick on my old and tired 65 Alpine.  I had removed the
head to replace the leaking gasket, when I saw just how much carbon was
built up in this thing.  A couple of weeks later, I decided that I was
going to do a complete valve job on the car, but I wanted to remove as
much of the carbon as possible.  I was going to use the chemical
additives to do it, when I learned of the water trick.  So I got the car
up to temperature, and coke can filled with water, and slowly poured it
in to the Solex carb.  I had to open the throttle a bit when I did this
to keep it running.  Do NOT just dump it in, that could cause the
cylinder to "hydraulic" the rods...i.e. compress and bend them !
        When I pulled the head off the next day, it really was MUCH cleaner.
There was basically no carbon left.  It was all over my driveway, in a
wet black sooty mess at the back of the car.  I rebuilt the head, which
it really needed (warped and burned valves...).  After starting it back
up, I check the compression, and it had only gone up a bit.  I expected
more.  The extra air was now bleeding past the clean pistons and rings.
About two weeks later, I was driving up a hill, floored in third with a
fairly heavy load on the engine.....when BLAMO.  #3 piston melted away
on the exhaust side of the piston.  I believe that if I had left the
carbon in there, that this would not have happened.

        THEREFORE:  Use this water trick with caution.  If the engine is in
pretty good shape, it's probably safe.  If it burns as much oil as it
does gas, like mine did, then do NOT do it.

Rich