Re: FCC vs Networking charges

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FCC vs Networking charges
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:38:26 -0800 (PST)
I'm sure the RBOCs think this is great!

This is real BS especially when you consider the fact that very soon ISPs
will begin to move their traffic off the voice switches and onto the
emerging data network.  I bet they will continue to charge by the minute
even after all data traffic has been removed from the voice switches.

On the otherhand it really doesn't matter because the network guys will get
around to per bit (actually per packet or cell) charges soon enough.
Someday soon you will be able to make voice and video calls around the world
on the internet for the cost of a local call.  When Net phone and Net
vidieophone become widespread do you really think the phone companies are
going to sit watch their long distance business disappear?

>     Hello All:
>
>     I am writing you this to inform you of a very important matter
>     currently under
>     review by the FCC. Your local telephone company has filed a proposal
>     with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your internet service.
>     They contend that your usage has or will hinder the  operation of the
>     telephone network.
>
>     It is my belief that internet usage will diminish if users were
>     required to
>     pay additional per minute charges. The FCC has created an  email box
>     for your comments, responses must be received by February 13, 1997.
>     Send your comments to isp@fcc.gov and tell them what you  think.
>
>     Every phone company is in on this one, and they are trying to sneak
>     it in
>     just under the wire for litigation. Let everyone you know here this
>     one. Get the e-mail address to everyone you can think of.  isp@fcc.gov
>
>     Please forward this email to all your friends on the internet so all
>     our
>     voices may be heard!
>     --
>     Bonnie Kalwat
>     Web Page:  http://nw3.nai.net/~muffin/home.htm
>     We did not create the web of life. We are are only a strand of it.
>     what we do to the web we do to our selves. Aho!

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900