Distributor advance mechanisms

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributor advance mechanisms
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 08:42:45 -0500
Tiger Intelligenti:

Yesterday I discovered that the distributor of my 260 engine had
problems with both its mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms.  So,
last night I removed the unit and dismantled it for a good cleaning and
fixing.  I can suck air through the vacuum advance, so I am sure that it
is bad, but the mechanical advance is less clearly broken.  The springs
do not hold everything tightly together but rather allow about 1/3
travel before being brought into play - then they are tight.  I have
never worked on a distributor before, so I really don't know whether
that free play is normal.  Comments?

So, having said all of that, what would you all recommend that I do?  I
would like to think that parts are easy to come by since it is a FoMoCo
unit, but this IS a Tiger we are talking about.

Is it repairable?
Can it be improved on since I have it out?
Should I check anything else while it is out?
Do I ask too many questions?

Please respond quickly, if you can...it is supposed to be in the upper
60's here today, and in Connecticut in February that is saying something
(i.e., it SCREAMS top-down weather!!!).

Many thanks in ADVANCE for your help.
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS