Re: Suspension Mods

To: BunkyR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Suspension Mods
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:46:38 -0800 (PST)
At 03:31 PM 2/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

><<
>         From a slightly differing viewpoint, I've never considered engine
> power one of the ( stock / slightly modified ) Tiger's weak points.
> Efficiently getting that power to the ground is another matter entirely.
> Anyone out there care to detail some of the suspension/drivetrain mods
> they've incorporated into their Tigers ??
>
>  >>
>I second this..I mean I would rather have a 200hp car that could corner at
>70mph..than a 700hp car that could corner at 20mph..
>
>Any openers ?

There are lots of possible alterations that can be made to improve the stock
Tiger performance envelope.  Essentially all are compromises of one form or
another.  To increase lateral acceleration, the usual principals apply.
Lower, stiffen, reduce roll center, wider rims and performance tires, etc.,
there are several books on the subject.  Most of the time, Tiger owners
overlook the obvious.  The shocks, springs, bushings and other components
have finite lives.  We also have the fatigue life of several steel
components to contend with.

If you choose to add wider rims and competion tires, you will likely
accomplish most of the possible performance gain, but you will be both
limiting the ultimate performance, and increasing the risk of other
problems.  I advise you to start with a through examination and repair and
or upgrade of the standard suspension components including the unibody frame.

There are a lot of opinions on this subject and you have to be able to pick
the facts from the fables as they apply to your situation. Failure to
acomplish this filtration could be costly to you in many ways.  Decide what
you want your Tiger to do for you, and look for the best compromises to move
you in that direction.

Because I helped start STOA, lets just say I open with one club.

Tom Hall