Traction Masters

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Traction Masters
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 19:46:10 -0500
At 06:34 pm 2/27/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Are you using the weld-on pivot Traction Masters, or the Bolt on the
>spring version?  Have you seen Dan Walters' rig?  Any opinions on the
>old bushing style vs Heim joints?
>
>Steve
Steve,
        My Traction Masters are the "original" circa 1970, that have a forging
that bolts to the underside of the spring mount with longer U Bolts,
The bar is about 1" dia with a short similar tube an inch or so long
welded at right angles on each end. Hard rubber bushings are in the tubes
 at each end. Another bracket is welded to the frame in front of the spring.
A bolt passes through the brackets and bushings on each end.
I have replaced the bushings once  since 1970.  The Heim joint idea
is fine if you don't drive your car every day.  They get dirty and wear fast.
There are special rubber and steel washers designed to protect Heim
joints that might help.  These go for about $5.00 per joint today.
   JIm Barrett Tiger II 351C and others.