Cooling a Hot 260

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cooling a Hot 260
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:05:16 -0800 (PST)
Just thought I would ask if anyone had some good suggestions as to reducing
the engine heat on my Tiger MK I.  I am relatively new to Tigers but have
owned a number of British sports cars, most all of which I have been able to
cure overheating problems....not that mine overheats; but it does get pretty
hot, and I am concerned about in-town driving.  A few details on the car
might help.

Radiator appears to be original stock....and flow through the radiator
appears normal.  Just flushed the system yesterday and replaced the
thermostat.  Had a 160 degree in the thing so that is what I put back in the
engine.  Now seems a little faster and easier to cool down during driving
based on a test for in the hills for an hour yesterday.  Typically now stays
around 190-195 with heater running.  Does get as high as 205.....still no
real potential for damage....and no overflow.

Engine was rebuilt in 1986 and believe the radiator was new or boiled and
rodded out at that time.

Engine is original 260 block, but had had some major modification.  The way
it runs, believe it may have been bored out to 289 or possibly 302.
Definately has a half to three quarter cam.  Ported, polished with forged
TRW pistons and a Holley 600 CFM double pumper and metered fuel flow,
headers and an ACCEL dual point distributor.  As one can expect from this
description, the ride has a lot of poop....glad thewheel hop problem was
solved by the previous owner.

Problem is that the Tiger will really not idle properly until it hits 170
degrees plus (direct temp guage rather than factory electirc gauge).  This I
think is normal for a heavily built engine.  Frankly, I would like to keep
the temp range somewhere between 170 snf 190 consistently.  My wife likes
the rides but hates the heat in the cockpit from running the heater....I can
stand it but don't blame her.

Here is what I am considering....please give me your thoughts on these
possibilities and of course anything else you might think of.

1) Engine is as tight as a drum, so am not considering re-torqueing the
heads at this point.
2) Whaddya' think of a custom radiator (scheezz....big bucks man! and no
guarantees of success)
3) Secondary (electirc, manually operated rather than thermostatic) cooling
fan??
4) Get rid of riveted flex fan on water pump and install thermostatically
controlled cooling fans on the ride like my wife's Honda??  (hey, those
Honda engineers are pretty whilly, eh??)

Obviously, I really appreciate any advice that you all can offer.  Sorry for
the long message, but glad this info exchange is available!!

Cherrio,

Allan
El Cajon, CA.
Tigger B9472373

PS: If wheel hop is a concern, please let me know, and I will try and
describe the modifications done to the rear end of my car....Looks
reminiscent of the old truck differential cages of years past.

"Iron rusts with disuse, stagnant water loses it's purity, and in cold
weather becomes frozen, even so does inaction sap the vigors of the mind."
Leonardo Da Vinci