The Inside Story #3

To: Tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Inside Story #3
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:56:12 -0800
Not a lot of progress this weekend on the interior; other duties and
car-related errands gobbled up
a fair amount of time.

Got some more Dynamat in. As the next bit should be on the trunk floor, which
is convoluted, I am
tempted to get a heat gun to make the stuff follow contours better. I found out
that their idea of a
cleaning solvent is achohol, and I've been using kerosene; perhaps that might
help too.

The 1st stack of metal parts are in from the strip joint. Sadly the seat weld
yielded again. :(
I spent a lot of today treating the metal with Metal Prep prior to painting
and, as I have not been
using gloves, my fingers burn. Dang, the seat frames are complicated in shape!
Then I put a light
coat of primer on; as it's too cold, windy and damp here, I had to paint
indoors, and I'm still
light-headed. Don't want to do that again. At least there's something on the
metal now to buy me a
few days w/out rusting until I can get more paint on the bits. I didn't like
the original gray, so I
got the fake-chrome paint and some clear; on the rails, which are exposed, it
should look like the
uncoated metal, except rust-free. :)

Oh, yeah; I found a newsletter tech hint on seat frames in my "archives" and
took 'em apart. The
funny little rollers inside are not at all like I expected, perhaps the rubber
parts are actually
normal-sized O-rings available at the local hardware store. I'll check.

The seat-back frames are rattly now, as I drilled out a bunch of rivets, and
scrap metal is now
stuck inside. Any cures?

Something told me to mask off the teeth on the seat-adjustment mechanism, and
any bosses or other
parts where motion/abrasion will take place. Let's see if I'm right.

I found the lower dash roll from my old SV Alpine, and the brackets are
attached for the under-dash
vents. I think I'll use that (re-covered,of course), and retro-fit the vents,
too.

Semi-un-related, I found that nobody in the Washington, DC, area does chroming
on the scale of doing
bumpers. Did you know that Morgan bumpers are smaller than Sunbeam bumpers?
Neither did I, but the
guy at the chrome shop had just done some Morgan units, but mine wouldn't fit
in his tank. Dang!

That's all for now.

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"

P.S.: About the ties. Yes, they would be silk. Yes, they would be
classy-looking. Check out the ad's
for DS's ties in the back of R&T, and remember, _we_ get a lot of say in the
appearance. Hey, if we
get the design certified as genuine Tiger, would that be a tie-TAC? (I think I
asked that once
before).