Re: Broken Stud...

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:53:54 +0000
Steve Laifman wrote:

> Paul Burr wrote:
>
> > In 25 years of working on cars, I've never had an "easy out work" !
> > Usually, they snap off, costing even more money to remove!
>
> Ditto that. The “easy-outs’” are hardened steel, and you can’t drill
> them out for an “easy-out-easy-out”.

I found this out rebuilding the front end on my Tiger. A bolt snapped in
the crossmember when I was removing the lower arm. Then the easy out
snapped. I thought I was up the creek...
Some one told me that some machine shops have a machine called a Tap
Disintigrator. It a welding rod type device that will zap busted taps,
bolts, and our friend the easy out, without destroying the part it's
stuck in. If you can haul the part in, chances are they can get it out.
Saved my butt on that one!