RE: Woooh! Can of worms!!

To: "'mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca'" <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: RE: Woooh! Can of worms!!
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:19:28 -0700
        You wrote "Your Alpine might be British - so is Marks and
Spencer - but it won't be an
Alpine.  It will be a heavily- modified hot rod which will give you
great
satisfaction.  It still won't be an Alpine or a Tiger.  20 years from
now
it will be junk because it's not stock and not worth saving.  One less
Alpine from an ever shrinking pool.  Judging by this list, the number of
original Alpines is shrinking at an
ever increasing pace.  I would hate to think that our sole purpose is
not
restoration and preservation but modification and ultimately
destruction."

        I'm afraid that we'll have to agree to Disagree.  I simply don't
agree.  A street rod 33' Ford three window coupe is still the same car,
regardless of what powerplant it has.  It's an example of what that car
was.  Its not the factory version, but it represents what a lot of
people did with them. Perfect originals belong in museums, where one can
go to view the past.  Personally, I rather take a good close look at the
ZZ-Top car.  Modifying the cars is Americana.
        Being a US Citizen, I'm glad the we don't live under the
Original document.  It has been improved over the years by a majority
consensus, and is now better than the original.  Many of us look at cars
the same way.  We'll agree to disagree.

Rich