paint problems

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: paint problems
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:44:49 -0700
Today I spent the day working on my paint.  The paint on this Tiger was so
badly scratched I almost thought it was going to have to be
repainted.(ouch)  But awhile ago  I watched a tv show on TNN about
detailing your paint.  So I bought some 400 grit, 600 grit, and 1500 grit
wet and dry sand paper and started in.  There was some bad stains on the
paint and I was surprised to see that the 400 took them right off.  It also
takes off any high spots in the paint and orange peel.  next I used 600
which smoothed it real well.  The store didn't have anything in between 600
and 1500.  1200 would probably have been better but you have to use what
you've got.  the 1500 almost polishes it and kind of gives the paint a matt
finish all over.  Next I used Meguiars mirror glaze fine cut polish #2, and
my drill and buffing bonnet,that brought it up to a real nice shine.  I got
half the car done today, hopefully tommorow I'll finish and then wax.    I
was a little apprehensive at first to try this method but the results were
amazing, it's a good thing, because I couldn't afford a paint job right
now.

Regards Armand Ritchie
B9470219

ritchie@mcn.org