Heat Shield??

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heat Shield??
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:38:03 -0700
Maybe some of you have encountered this problem and have a good suggestion
for a solution.

The headers on my Tiger run within about two inches of the clutch slave.
Obviously, wtih a great deal of heat coming off of the headers, the fluid
(new Castrol stuff....supposed to be better heat rated than DOT 5) becomes
more "compressable" as I drive and the clutch does not disengage quite as
well as when cold.  Not a real problem in gears 1-4 on the toploader, but
do get a gear grind trying to go into reverse.  Re-building the slave
helped somewhat, but I still have the probelm.

Does anyone have any recomendations??  I have thought of putting
header-wrap on the portion of the header that passes by the slave, but have
been counseled away from that idea by a header shop who said it would cause
premature failure of the headers.  Thought of fabbing a heat shield that
could be attached via the slave mounting bolts....but thought I had better
get the advice of those more knowledgeable than myslef prior to tearing
into it.  (Remember the water temp gauge that read high by 20+ degrees??
you get the picture.)

Appreicate any and all advice.

Regards,

Allan