WHoA!! Hold On!!

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: WHoA!! Hold On!!
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:00:23 -0700
At 11:20 PM 5/27/97 -0400, CoolVT@aol.com wrote:
>I wrote the original post because I was just trying to help out an old man
>who is a friend.  I think the problem is that your humor is probably
>appreciated more by you than by others.    Mark

Humor like anything is all in the eye of the beholder.

I appreciate Ole's taking the time to indicate his remorse over having
offended anyone and applaude his taking action.  He thought, and rightly
so, that if one person "Flamed" him that others may indeed be
offended......I personally was not one of the offended.  Frankly, being the
dim-witted sort that I am, I really did not understand it in the first
place....but then it is also possible I am in denile.....

However, I can understand that someone was offended.  My wife is doing a
super job in what is considered basically a man's world; and you would not
believe some of the shit she has to put up with; feeble attempts at humor,
comments and the like.  (Hell, there I go, offfending someone else!)

What I tell her is that it is her RIGHT in this country to tell people that
she finds something offensive.  At that point and only at that point in
time, if they continue the behavior, then the person is getting in your
face and flagrantly disregarding your feelings on the matter.  I guess at
that point (dear God help us) in this society you call a lawyer.

In a similar fashion, we on the receiving end of the humor must try to
understand where the humor comes from within that person.  Lots of humor
comes in response to pain.  For instance, my grandfather fought in WWII and
really had no good things to say about certain Asian races.  He made jokes.
 I have a friend who fought in Korea, is a Latino and handles just about
everything with nothing but humor to really hide his true emotions.  Others
of us who fought in a "conflict" just flat assed don't talk about anything
associated with it.

Bottom-line: Accept Ole's appology as true and honest.....I know him and he
meant it.  Understand he is a good person who feels he made a mistake and
is trying to correct it.  As a truly great person once said, "He who is
without sin, cast the first stone."

As nice and convenient as e-mail is, it is no replacement for true
face-to-face, eyeball-to-eyball discussion.

The person who "flamed" Ole was right doing what they did, as they were
offended.  It was also right to keep their feelings on the matter private
to Ole.  Ole was correct in appologizing to the group.......can't we leave
it at that??

This is a place for a helluva lot of gathering and exchange of really
wonderful information.....I really hope it stays that way, humor and
all......if someone does not like a particular kind of humor, please let
the originator know.....I am willing to bet they will stop.  If not, I am
sure they can be removed from the list.  Ultimately, the best form of
punishment is being ostracized (sp?) by a society, isn't it?  (Heck, after
this diatribe, I'll probably be removed from the list.....!)

Sincerely,

Allan

....well anyway, as I was saying about Pat & Mike and Sister Mary Louise.......