Sway bars

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sway bars
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:57:30 -0400
At 02:43 pm 6/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone gone to a heavier sway bar for the front of their tiger.  I
>noticed a lot of movement in turns on mine in the front.  The back stays
>put just fine with traction masters and beefed up springs put on by one of
>the po's.  I was wondering what type of sway bars have been used, Addco.
>ect. and were neoprene bushings used also?  If so where's the best place to
>purchase the sway bar and bushings?  Thanks in advance
>Regards Armand Ritchie
>              B9470219
>
>ritchie@mcn.org
>Armand & Lorie Ritchie

Armand,
      I have a 1" bar on my Tiger II 351C.  Using the original brackets I
wrapped
a section of radiator hose around the bar as the "bushing".  It is very hard to
mount the bar as the "bushings" have to be compressed before the bolts
will line up.  The bar eventually caused the mounting slots in the lower A
frame to fail.  I re-welded with re-enforcement a couple of times.  The inner
slot was the one that failed each time.  I finally solved the problem by using
only the outer mounting bracket on the A arm.  At the same time I built two
brackets ( from 6 used disk brake pads) and welded them to the front of the
cross member.  Using regular large sway bar clamps and big rubber bushings
from a Dodge truck I supported the center streight portion of the sway bar
1/2" from the front lip of the cross member.  This setup has not failed
since I did the mod 3 to 4 years ago.  The Tiger has a little sway when
I take a corner hard; but nothing like the sway of the original bar.  Before
I got the 1" bar that is like the original shape I made a bar from a 1 1/8
Dodge Van Bar.  This had even less sway; but my shaping job was not
so good and there was limited turn radii due to the tire hitting the bar.
 If I had the choice I would use 1 1/8" If I could get it to fit.  I also have
shortened Pinto springs up front.  These are stiffer than the Tiger originals.
The 351C up front is about 100 lbs more than the original 289.
I got the 1" bar at a garage sale so I have no idea what brand it is.
Jim Barrett 351C and others