Electronics

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electronics
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:34:52 -0400
At 10:12 am 6/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Okay, thanks to another list member I found out that the chemical
>table I was referring to in my post on radiators and water chemistry
>is called the Electronegativity Table.  So I looked into it a bit,
>and while I make no claims about fully understanding what reactions
>are likely to take place between the metals commonly found in radiators,
>I did learn the following:
>
>  The atom with the higher electronegativity value will always "pull"
>  the electrons away from the atom that has the lower electronegativity
>  value.  The degree of "movement or shift" of these electrons towards
>  the more electronegative atom is dependent on the difference in
>  electronegativities between the atoms involved.
>
>Here's a list I made from the periodic table of elements:
>
>Element   Electronegativity
>-------   -----------------
>  F           3.98
>  Cu          1.9
>  Fe          1.83
>  Zn          1.65
>  Al          1.61
>  Mg          1.31
>
>I've included Fluorine as a reference because it has the greatest
>attraction for electrons.  Hopefully you don't have any in your
>radiator.  Maybe we should be avoiding fluoridated water too?  It might
>be good for your teeth, but perhaps not so good for your radiator.
>
>As I suspected, zinc is in between aluminum and copper in this table
>while magnesium is below aluminum.  What would this mean for a radiator
>containing all of the metals listed?  I dunno.  Maybe all of them except
>the copper (and iron because of its sheer mass) would be dissolved in
>short order.  What I would like to do is conduct an experiments.  I was
>thinking of putting various combinations of these metals in a jar of
>salt water and see what happens.  Does anyone have suggestions on
>sources for small quantities of zinc and magnesium?  I can probably find
>zinc at a hardware store, but probably not magnesium.  Maybe welding
>rod, but I'm not so sure this would be commonly available.  Anyone with
>a chunk VW engine block they don't need?
>
>One factor that I haven't seen mentioned is coolant ph.  Exposed
>aluminum oxidizes almost instantly, forming a coating that is both a
>good insulator and literally tougher than nails.  But both acids and
>alkalines remove this oxide pretty quickly.  Presumably keeping the
>coolant's ph near neutral would protect this coating.  Maybe that's part
>of what coolant corrosion inhibitors do.
>
>Another approach might be to eliminate all copper and brass from the
>cooling system, but I think this would be tough to do.  What about the
>thermostat, heater core, heater cut-off valve and even the water
>temperature sensor and fittings?
>
>Using demineralized water is no doubt a good start, but coolant systems
>aren't very clean environments.  I doubt demineralized water stays that
>way long once poured into a radiator.  Even if I decide against an
> [...]
Roland,
    If you are going to all that trouble, then check out a good marine store.
There is an electronic corresion protection system that uses a regulated
voltage ( or current?) and a platimum electrode.  It works fine for
expensive boats; but it raises hell with any boat docked nearby as the
nearby boat has a worse electrolis problem.  I have seen a similar
system for cars that is alleged to prevent rusty bodies.
Jim Barrett 351C and others