Tires

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tires
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 09:51:46 -0400
At 07:41 am 6/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm running two different sizes of tires (P165 front)
>and P205 rear) on 13"" minilite" type wheels.
>
>What size(s) should I be running?  Same? Different?
>
>Would you recommend a particular brand?
>
>I appreciate your assistance!!

Tym,
   I run 235-50-13 Goodrich TA on the rear and 205-60-13 on
the front.  8" wide rear wheel, 6" wide front wheel.  Fender
wells are slightly spread and the inner lips flattened.  Still have
the need for more tire on the rear for acceleration as they
are easy to smoke;  however this combination seems good for
cornering.  If you want a smoother ride then use the skinny
tall tires.  The wide tires are rough over bumps.  For long
commutes on the freeway I recommend the skinny tires.
I hate any tire that is steel belted.  The belts come loose as
soon as the tire wear exposes any of the steel wires.  The
exposed wires also make me bleed any time I try to change them.
Shorter tires on the rear provide a slight change in the effective
gear ratio.  I could feel the  difference between 225-50 Renkins
and the 235-50 Goodrich in acceleration.  On my little V6 Alpine
 I noticed a big difference when I went from 175-70-13 to 195-50-15.
It is not so good on acceleration now.
Jim Barrett TIGER II 353C and others.