Re: Clutch pedal floored

To: larryall@pacbell.net (Larry Allbritton)
Subject: Re: Clutch pedal floored
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 7:59:15 PDT
> and that it barely disengaged.  When I got home I checked the reservoir
> and it was empty.  So I filled it which only took a couple of ounces.
> The pedal still seems too far to the floor.  My question is do I need
> to bleed the lines and if not then what can I do to get the clutch
> to disengage before bottoming out the pedal? There is a little (maybe
>
> Larry Allbritton

If the reservoir was dry, you definitely have air in the line.  But just
refilling and bleeding probably won't fix your problem.  You most likely
have a leak which needs fixing.  Check both the master cylinder and
slave to see if you can find the leak.  The master cylinder can be
rebuilt and so can the slave, but, IMO, it's better to replace the
slave, or perhaps have it relseeved.  A new slave and resleeving the old
one probably cost about the same.

If you can't find a leak, then most likely the fluid is collecting in
the brake servo.  I don't have any experience with brake servos, so
you'll have to consult one of the many list members that have dealt
with this particular problem.

Roland