Re: Fluid disposal

To: "D. Leithauser" <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: Fluid disposal
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
At 11:38 AM 6/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Not that I want to incure the wrath of the enviormentalist crowd, but I
>don't think that antifreeze is a major problem. I understand that in some
>areas it is legal to dump it down the drain and let the sewage treatment
>plant deal with it. It will kill your pets if the drink it, and I hear they
>find it tasty. If you are striving to be Mr. good citizen, you could
>probably get a auto repair shop to take it if it's not too contaminated.
>
>Doug

        I understand that the microbiological creatures in essentially all
municipal waste treatment plants are very happy to receive dilute ethelyne
glycol.  To them it's like chocolate cake.  If any of you are truly
concerned, Propylene glycol is available with appropriate additives for
automotive coolant requirements.  It is non-toxic and works quite well,
I've been running it for just over two years (with deionized water).  Just
remember that after a while, it will pickup trace amounts of metallic
impurities from your coolant system.  This will include lead (from the
radiator solder) iron and copper, etc.  Your local waste treatment plant
may be the overall safest disposal method, as they will be monitoring and
possibility treating for these kinds of impurities.  To be safe, check with
them first, if you can't locate a reasonable commercial disposal service.

Tom Hall