Re[2]: Dip stick

To: tym@exit3.com, Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Dip stick
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 15:02:23 PST
> I would think that any stick from a 260, 289, 0r 302 would be the same.
> My Ford parts guy says "ain't necessarily so."
> Any assistance from any of you guys would be appreciated.
>
> Tym McDowell

Quite true.  I have a 289 Fairlane motor in the snake and an early HiPo
289 sitting on an engine stand in my garage.  The dip sticks for these
two engines are not the same length.

Roland

********************************

-Technically, the only distance, that really MATTERS is from the "lip" of the
oil-pan downwards. 25 + years ago, I "stuffed" a hi-po 289 (not a true "K"
motor) in to a '66, engine-between-the-seats ECONOLINE.

Anyway, my engine & accessories were cobbled from many junkyard runs, and as I
remember (gasp!) my dipstick and tube was from a small-block Chevy! When my
engine was on the run-in stand at work (they had a dyno), we put in 5 quarts of
oil, ran the engine, etc. We "filled" the oil filter up so the oil in the pan
was at the right level, and then bent, measured and "marked" the dipstick and
tube accordingly. Not too exact, but it worked fine.

                           Phil

P.S. Ask your dealer "parts-guy" how many Service bulletins have been issued by
the MFG. for mis-marked-at-the-factory dipsticks (oil level).True, honest.