Re: Lacquer Sanding Tips Needed

To: Schotland <schotbus@cyberenet.net>
Subject: Re: Lacquer Sanding Tips Needed
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:36:16 +0100
Schotland wrote:
vise from someone who's experienced with lacquer.  My questions are:

> Should I start wet sanding with a coarser paper and then move to the
> 1200?  If so, what grit do you suggest?
>
> After the 1200 grit, what is the next step to get that showroom
> shine?  Should I continue wet sanding with a finer grit paper or
> should I change to some sort of super fine grit polishing compound?
> Product recommendations would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Gar
Gary: an initial wet sand pass with 600-800, followed by the 1200, will
knock down the high spots. Then, to get the final gloss, use a liquid
compound with a air or electric buffer, This is followed by a rub down
with hand glaze for the final gloss. Any good book on paint work will
have the steps.