RE: Shimmy

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, "'Anita & Jim Barrett'" <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Shimmy
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 01:59:53 -0700
        Disk Warpage is common especially if you have gotten them good
and hot a couple of times.  My 81 mustang did exactly as you described
as did my Alpine years ago.  Having the rotors turned will normally
solve the problem.  You said you replaced the disks before.  Was that
with NEW rotors or used ones?  Used would probably have a warp to them
unless you had them turned first.  If you had them turned, the chances
are it's really the rear drums that are causing the problem.  This can
be tested just by doing a 10 MPH stop with the E-brake only with light
preasure.  If you feel any pulsing, you should have the drums turned,
and the shoes replaced.  Both rear drums on my Alpine were warped and
just using the E-brake would make the where turn back and fourth,
although not as aggresively as when the front rotors were warped.
There's nothing like a LBC with fresh brake in all four corners...!!

Rich