Re: OOPPS! The Hot Motor Bit Again

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OOPPS! The Hot Motor Bit Again
From: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 97 11:12:03 PDT
The story about coolant flowing through the radiator too fast keeps
reincarnating in various forms.  Stuart is right; the hotter the radiator,
the more heat is dissipated.  The erroneous notion about too high a flow
rate seems to have originated back with the flat-head fords.  Someone
discovered a cure for their overheating problem which was to but about a
3/4" restrictor at the output of each head.  Problem is, they mistakenly
atributed the improvement to restricting flow, whereas the improvement was
the result of increasing pressure inside the heads.  Fact is, both flow and
presssure are good; you just can't have both at the same time.  The optimum
is a trade-off with enough flow so that the temperature drop through the
radiator is small, while at the same time building as much pressure inside
the engine as possible.  With a 15# cap and a good water pump you can
prbably get 30 or 40 psi inside the engine which prevents local boiling and
cavitation.  The heat capacity of ethylene glycol is a lot less than water
(bad), but it has a higher boiling point (good).  A compromise at about
50/50 seems to be optimum.  It's what I use, although if you do racing it
may be forbidden because of the mess it makes when you spill it and also the
fire potential.  Your motor will probably run a few degrees cooler with pure
water, but there is less margin for overheating.  Regarding thermostats, why
would anyone use a thermostat less than the desired operating temperature?
I agree with Tom Hall and others (including all auto manufacturers in the
free world) that operating your engine around 195-205 degrees is ideal in
terms of performance (mileage, engine wear, and power).  If you are doing
all-out racing, you would problably err on the cool side (if you're lucky
enough to have this option) to avoid local hot spots developing under heavy
load.  I wish they made thermostats between 180 and 195.  I'd probably pick
185 or 190, but certainly no reason to put in a 170 or 160, except maybe to
provehow good your cooling system really is.  But operating an engine at
these temperatures for any extended period is acutally bad for it; it
increases engine wear like crazy and lowers gas milage.  A lot of racers use
a restrictor hole instead of a thermostat.  One advantage I can see is that
it is so simple it won't fail.  Also, a thermostat may actually open up too
much and not provide enough restriction to maintain good pressure inside the
motor.

Enough of this for now.  Maybe later I'll tell you what I think about single
versus multiple pass radiators.  Mine is a Ron Davis three-pass aluminum I
got through Dale Akuszewski.  It works excellent, but is only part of the
overall story of cooling the cat.

>       First of all, my Tiger is mostly stock, and the gauge appears fairly
>       accurate.  Original radiator, rodded out once or twice.  My worst case
>       drive each year is coming home from British Car Day in Brookline.  Mid
>       afternoon, sunny, hottest day of the week, if not the month.  This year
>       was in the mid 90's.  Less than a minute between stoplights for the
first
>       half hour, or so  it seems.  Anyway, the temp gauge gets up to the 230
>       area, but I don't blow any fluid.  Once I get free of the
stoplights, it
>       slowly comes back down to 215-220.  I have a 170 thermostat, a 7 lb.
cap,