Re: New attitude

To: tiger technologies <tartanad@ix7.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: New attitude
From: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 14:35:15 PDT
Jeff,

I applaud your "new attitude".  It certainly beats your "old attitude" which
resulted in your aiming a lot of insults and criticism at various
individuals involved with TUXXII.  Not that some it wasn't warranted, but
let's at least give credit for a tremendous amount of effort for both the
organizers and participants that made this year's TU unique.  Having
contributed in some small way toward the completion of Dick Barker's Le Mans
"mule", I can only say that your insults even affected me insofar as you
demeaned the importance of these historic vehicles.  I certainly don't
expect everyone to have the same value system; i.e., different strokes for
different folks.  For myself,  I am not even particularly interested in
minute details of history (e.g., hated the quiz), but admire people like
Dick and Norm who are.  (It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.)  I'm
also not particularly keen on Concours competition (which I gather your
are).  I don't hesitate to make modifications if they produce a significant
improvement in utility or performance, although I am trying harder to
maintain the "appearance" of originality.  I do get some perverse
satisfaction out of making a thirty year old technology work as well as the
latest trendy gadgets.  My main point here is that the "new attitude" should
include a "big tent" aspect which means being more accepting of factions
with other priorities than ours.  If we approach the planning of TUXXIII
with this attitude in mind, while we may not be able to please all of the
people, at least we can please most while at the same time offending as few
as possible.

Sorry I missed last week's meeting.  I had planned to come but something
came up at the last minute.  Damn!  Well, maybe in September.

Bob Palmer