Re: 289-302-351W INTERCHANGABILITY.

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: 289-302-351W INTERCHANGABILITY.
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:40:06 +0100
Bob,

Your advance settings are a little disturbing. You should never have
more than 36 degrees total advance, with a few exceptions.

Under deceleration, or constant low-load cruise, it can go as high as 50
degrees. But this is controlled by the vacuum-advance which cranks
additional advance in at nearly closed throttle (High distributor port
vacuum, not to be confused with manifold vacuum).

I believe you ought to check your vacuum advance canister. My diaphragm
was gone, and the entire system retarded my spark when set correctly at
idle (no mechanical or vacuum advance). The engine ran retarded and
would overheat. Don't know how you set your advance, or check it out,
but would recommend a simple test. Remove the distributor vacuum hose
from the carb and suck on the hose connecting to the distributor can. If
you get air thru the hose, the vacuum diaphragm is got a leak. I
replaced mine with an Accell unit that has an adjustable vacuum advance
setting with an allen wrench. The kit comes with a couple of sets of
springs to change your mechanical advance rate, if you desire. Then
follow enclosed directions.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >