Re[2]: 289-302-351W INTERCHANGABILITY.

To: laifman@flash.net, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Subject: Re[2]: 289-302-351W INTERCHANGABILITY.
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 14:47:36 PST
     Bob;

     -In my automotive-machinist days over 20 + years ago, I remember
     "fondly" when spin balancing a customer's engine, the timing marks in
     LOTS of cases were either mis-marked ("kick-back" on factory engine
     run-in stands) or they had "slipped" due to degradation of the rubber
     insert within the dampeners. My 289 that I personally built had it's
     timing off some 30 + degrees: if I relied solely on the marks on the
     front dampener/pulley, the engine would die.

     -I "found" true-TDC by the ol' tried-and-true dial indicator method
     with the #1 piston and rod, head, valves, etc. torqued-up and the
     engine "spun" over a couple of times. All decent hi-po & racing
     engines are put together this way; this also gave me true crank/cam
     timing so I could use the different keyways accurately for
     cam-to-crank advance or retard.

     -If you're relying solely on the pulley marks and not what your
     valetrain/piston TDC shows you, I would agree your pulley is
     mis-marked. Re-mark your pulley(s), set your distributor where you
     like your engine to run, regardless of specs, and then use the
     junkyard-marking-ink on your original marks, pointer, block &
     distributor housing. This makes it real easy to dial in next time.
     Also very handy at the track under time-pressure and bright-light
     conditions with a timing light; the ink is easy to see under these
     conditions.

                       Phil