Re: Caster alignment

To: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Caster alignment
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:50:00 -0400
Jim Barrett wrote:

>         I hope I am calculating correctly on caster.  My theory is that,
> (assuming zero camber to start), if one could turn the spindle 90 degrees
> then the "camber" would be the caster angle.  Therefore if I turn the
> spindle 22 1/2 degrees the camber angle would be 1/4 of the caster.
> That is why I did the 4x calculation.
> I have a very expensive alignment set...
***********************
Jim,

It's clear that you've spared no expense with your alignment set.  I'm
impressed.  Think that your 4X rule might stand a bit of refinement
tho.  I suspect that coupling between camber and caster is not a linear
function of steering angle but varies with the Sine of steering angle.
Mathematically it would look something like this:

        Caster = Measured_camber X sin(Steering_angle)

If this is correct, then, for a steering angle of 22.5 degrees,

        Caster = Measured_camber X sin(22.5)
               = Measured_camber X 0.38

The 4X rule would then become a 1/0.38 = 2.6X rule.  Note also that in
the limit, for an angle of 90 degrees, Sin(90) = 1 and camber = caster.

Don't take this as gospel.  I haven't been through the analysis to say
that its correct or otherwise.  It just looks right to me intuitively.
--
Intuitively yours, Will Seay - B382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com